Wednesday, February 11, 2009

What's Old Made New

This is my Great Grandmothers Quilt. Totally cute, right. It's called a crazy quilt. You don't need a sowing machine or fancy tools. Knowing Mamaw there probably wasn't a lot of thought put into the fabrics or the design. It was made out of necessity, to keep warm. Homemade from scraps not because it was trendy but because it was all she had. Being a home maker was so different then than it is now. But if you really think about it the fundamentals are the same; keep them feed, keep them well, keep them safe, keep them together, teach them good.


So along with this quilt my mom also had the beginnings of another, made from the same scraps and a box of the remaining scraps. My talented and ambitious sister decided she would undertake finishing what her Great Grandmother had started.


As you can see it's coming along quite nicely. I think I might try one with what ever is left of the scraps.

Retta Cobb
February 1913-April 2007

5 comments:

Kay said...

What a tender memory. I have a deep appreciation for the kind of life my grandmother's and mother have given me. I have a quilt that my grandmother made me for a wedding gift...it speaks the same language to me that your mamaw's does to you. Her name was Maude.

Yo Mama said...

I'm inspired. . . . . to buy someones crazy quilt.

cally said...

I love that. You've got to do one Mandy.

savvy said...

Aw. I have so many quilts (all shapes, sizes and colors) from my two mammows and one passed from a great grandma. They're just so special!

I just found your blog and I'm so excited about it!! How are you and your family doing? How are your parents? How's Tennessee? (I wish I was there!! as always)

Katina Angola said...

That left me a little misty eyed. My Great Grandma passed away in December. We went through all her things. She kept every single letter I had ever written her.