Saturday, August 1, 2009

Good Times















Being only 3 hours from Atlanta is one of the top 3 things that I like about Knoxville (and so for there are only three things on that list). The other 2: being close to family and the mountains. Atlanta probably ranks 2nd considering how much I like my family and if I'm really honest I'd rather live at the beach than near the mountains. Anyway I'm not trying to complain and now I feel like this post has taken on a horribly negative vibe so back to the point, we had a really great time in Atlanta this week. Eldon went down Sunday night, on Business. The kids and I joined him Monday. Kekoa was so excited when he woke up and saw all the big buildings. "Look Mom it's New York city where Calvin lives" he shouted, waking his sister up. It was hard to break the news that it was in fact a different city and Calvin's house was still far away. But he took it well and the momentary disappointment melted away in the lights of Atlanta. He has had an affection for big cities since our trip to New York. Even when we go down town Knoxville he gets excited and he loves a good city festival. Leile doesn't remember New York she was barley a year old but I think she'll remember Atlanta. There's nothing like the city streets to energize and inspire. Eldon worked while we played in the city parks and visited the Giant pandas at the Zoo. When he was done working we shopped and we ate.


My favorite thing about visiting other cities is the food. We had lunch at The Varsity, just a few blocks from our hotel in midtown. It touts itself as the worlds largest drive through and was packed at lunch time with locals and tourist alike. The service was fast and the food was greasy. Just what I wanted from a burger joint. The next day we went for a lighter fair before hitting the zoo. Ria's Blue Bird Cafe in the Grant park area of Atlanta was excellent eating. The New York Times named Ria's pancakes as the best in the world. I talked Leile into getting the pancakes so that I could help her eat them, very good.























Good times.










6 comments:

Lori said...

Great photos, Mandy! Looks like a fun trip too.

Kay said...

You really did have fun! It makes me want to go to those places next time I visit Atlanta. I did worry about you driving home in the middle of the night, after the fact! I'm glad you went.

Crystal Copeland said...

Love your pictures! Lee and I went to Atlanta last summer and had a good time. We loved the zoo! Doesn't it just beat the pants off of the Knox zoo??
Our trip took a bad turn though when we wondered into the "wrong" side of town......gotta be careful in certain parts of that city.

Donna said...

Holy huge look how big Koa is now! Looks like you guys had fun!

cally said...

Awesome pictures! So, I think the next "special" trip we get is a weekend in ATlanta. No kidding. I'm ready.

Unknown said...

I love that last photo of the kids. Frame it. Hang it. Put it out. Do something with it. It's too cute.